Now, Android Q Beta 4 is available, and it can be set up on Pixel and some non-Pixel smartphones. In general, the algorithm for installing software on different devices is similar. Depending on the model, there may be slight differences.
If you are an inexperienced user, then you better abandon the idea of having Android Q-beta. Otherwise, I'm not responsible for the result and safety of data on your phone. So, there are several ways of installation.
The First Way: Use the Android Beta Version
For those who have registered in the Android Beta Program, it's rather easy to receive the newest update. So, it's not even necessary to enable bootloader. All you have to do is to check the special panel with updates and click on the necessary icon.
Also, you can check for updates in the settings of the phone. To do it, you need to click on "System", then on "System Update", and on "Check for Update". So, if the new version is accessible, it will be downloaded. After it, you'll have to reboot your phone.
It's necessary to notice that the process may take much time. Though a lot of people say that it takes just several minutes to do everything, some users claim that they had to wait for almost 24 hours.
The Second Way: Flash Your Phone
Some people don't want to wait for the OTA, and I have an instruction on how to get Android Q Beta on the phone. Anyway, you should remember that it will take more time and resources than the first method.
First of all, it's obligatory to download the file itself. Also, you will need:
- a Pixel phone;
- a USB-cable;
- a tool that can deal with .tgz and .tar files;
- accessible bootloader;
- SDK with available commands ADB and Fastboot.
It will be necessary to enable the bootloader on the device if you got a factory image. I should say that after it all documents on the smartphone will be deleted. So, you have to back it up before.
- go to "About Phone" and click "Build Number" seven times;
- enter "Developer options" and switch USB debugging and OEM unlock on;
- connect Pixel to your computer using a cable;
- start a command box on your computer;
- boot your phone into bootloader mode with the help of the command: adb reboot bootloader;
- enter in the window: fastboot flashing unlock;
- confirm unlock (using the volume up and then the power button);
- to complete the unlock, restart your device by typing in the terminal window: fastboot reboot.
Now, it's possible to flash the device. Unzip the downloaded zip archive with the factory firmware to the folder with the programs ADB or Fastboot. You can use a file manager for this purpose, such as Total Commander or an archiver program such as 7-Zip.
This step is needed if you want to avoid data loss during firmware (if you have previously unlocked the bootloader). Using any text editor, open the flash-all.bat document (if you have Windows) or flash-all.sh (Mac, Linux) and remove two symbols: – w in line with the fastboot command update (key –w gives the command to clear the data). Save the file. Be convinced that your device is connected to the computer and run the flash-all.bat script (or flash-all.sh on Mac, Linux) on the computer. Wait until the end of the firmware process and reboot your smartphone.
Sometimes this method doesn't work, but there's another way of installation. You should be connected to the computer and be in the bootloader state.
You have to write this sequencing on your computer:
- fastboot flash bootloader .img;
- fastboot reboot-bootloader;
- fastboot flash radio .img;
- fastboot reboot-bootloader;
- fastboot flash -w update .zip.
After it, your phone will reboot, and you will get the desired version of Android on it.
The Third Way: Load an OTA Update
If you prefer to use an OTA image, you also can find it. So, all you need to do is to:
- get an OTA image;
- reboot the phone in the special mode;
- choose the ADB mode on the smartphone;
- connect the device to the PC;
- type the following: adb sideload.
That's all. Now, you can enjoy new features on your device.
It's Easy to Return to the Stable Version
If you decide to return to a stable version of Android either because broken functions or other errors, then you need to flash your smartphone, using the factory firmware – firmware of the Pixel devices.